This week I was nominated for the Liebster Award which is an online accolade for bloggers by bloggers. The aim is to support and welcome new members in to the blogosphere so it is given to people with less than 1000 followers. Liebster is a German word that translates to “dearest”, “beloved”, or “sweetheart” and to me encapsulates the idea of paying love forward.
The official rules of the Liebster award can be found here. The process roughly follows the below:
- Thanking the previous blogger for nominating you.
- Answer questions the previous blogger asked.
- Nominate up to 10 bloggers and let them know.
- Provide your nominees with 10 questions.
- Paste the Liebster Award logo somewhere on to your blog.
Thank you TravelFolio for the nomination, I was particularly touched by the reason I was put forward. Please do visit their excellent site at https://www.travelfolio.net/ for tips and articles about travel and life in Calgary, Canada.
Answers to TravelFolio’s questions
- Why do you blog?
In 2014 I went away on an extended trip and didn’t document my travels nearly well enough, I kept a diary but that tailed off after about 3 months. Of course there are photos and memories, but I like the idea of being able to read my thoughts from the time. Especially as I age.
- What’s your biggest blogging challenge?
Adhering to one of George Orwell’s golden rules – “If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.” I write far too much prose.
- Which is your most desirable destination?
Difficult question! This changes frequently, though currently I’m fascinated with the ex-Soviet Eastern bloc countries such as the Ukraine, Romania, Georgia and Belarus. They are the road less travelled and ripe for exploration.
- What is one new thing you’ve learned because of blogging?
How to enjoy writing merely for writing’s sake. There is no business or monetary goal to my hobby, I’ve learned how to appreciate a craft without any agenda. A welcome surprise was all the new connections made with fellow bloggers.
- Please share your blogging goal for 2017?
The aim for 2017 is to blog once a week but to maintain quality. I have many ideas on the go but they need refining to be worthy of publishing.
- Your favorite airlines and why?
In Europe it has to be Norwegian Air. They are cheap and reliable and have wifi on board for all customers. Rather fun (and informative) is their use of “tail fin heroes”, showcasing some of the brightest Scandi and Nordic academics and artists.
Internationally it would have to be British Airways and not only because I have a BA Amex card with associated perks. They have some of the longest serving and experience cabin crew which makes such a difference to the flight experience, especially as a nervous flyer.
- Which is the place you don’t want to visit and why?
Las Vegas has always been an anathema to me. I don’t for one second think I would enjoy all its tackiness; depressing windowless casinos, ugly malls and buildings, no history or culture, gaudy musicals and the sex trade. Call me a snob, but this would be my own personal hell.
Segilola Salami for the enjoyable book reviews on her blog and a unique perspective on children’s literature and activities. There is also an interesting podcast section on the site, and she has written her own book about a Yoruba girl in London!
The Xpats UAE not only for the detailed posts about activities and sights in Dubai, but also their excellent vlog and musings on the realities of life and relationships as an expat couple abroad. Definitely inspiring for those who are considering making a move!
The Honest Magpie a blogger after my own heart with candid foodie posts from the North West of England. Only started out in January 2017, the Honest Magpie has already written 6 great reviews of food and drink establishments in Manchester, dedication to the cause!
Effie is Bored a peek in to the life of a twenty something in Edinburgh, writing about anything from film reviews to pop culture in an amusingly irreverent style. My particular favourite is the Tinder experiment, for anybody wondering about how online dating works these days!
Questions for the nominees
- Where was your favourite childhood holiday destination and why?
- When did you start blogging and why?
- What food or smell makes you nostalgic and why?
- What has been your most frustrating travel / life experience?
- Has anyone in particular inspired your blog or blog posts?
- What makes you happy?
- If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
- What are your 3 favourite books or films?
- Where would you like to be in 5 years time?
- If you were made world leader, what would be the first thing you’d do?